Stop using your phone as a pocket watch. It’s actually distracting you.
According to a recent study published in the journal Personal and Ubiquitous Computing (pdf), humans look at their phones 34 times a day. That’s pulling a device out of a pocket or purse or off a conference table more than twice an hour (assuming they’re not checking during an eight-hour night’s sleep). Almost half of people with cell phones say that their phone has replaced their watch. -Quartz
A few years ago, I started giving away my watches to my nephew, my wife and my daughter. It felt really good, really minimalist, not having to wear any watch or jewelry (except my wedding ring).
However, after a few years, I realized I’ve been using my iPhone like a pocket watch. All that’s missing is a chain and I’d be back in the 16th century.
The not so good part was, once I checked the time, I checked if I had any messages, calls, notifications and so on and so forth. Before I knew it, I’ve been fiddling with my phone for some time already. This wasn’t simplifying. I had to do something.
So I bought an inexpensive and classic Casio F-91W so I don’t have to grab my iPhone from my pocket just to check the time (and then wonder where time went afterwards). I’ve been using it for a month now. Here are my observations:
1. The Casio has everything that I need. Time, day, date. The alarm wakes me up same time everyday.
2. It also beeps every hour, which I need, since it helps me pace myself through out the day. Time doesn’t slip by since I have notches in my day. Every hour, I also get to ask myself, “Is this the best use of my time?”
3. I don’t get tempted to unnecessarily fiddle with my iPhone anymore.
Now, I sure feel more focused being less dependent on my phone.
55 Notes/ Hide
- ifloatonwords likes this
- perlejuinneuf likes this
- suicidal-failiure likes this
- soyabeans07 reblogged this from simplifyyourlife
- soyabeans07 likes this
- beankitty likes this
- meandmyminolta reblogged this from simplifyyourlife
- sloaneainsley likes this
- rjmiso reblogged this from simplifyyourlife
- totakeheart likes this
- stvnhlm reblogged this from becomingminimalist
- stvnhlm likes this
- heyaiamsam reblogged this from simplifyyourlife
- heyaiamsam likes this
- carbonpunk reblogged this from becomingminimalist
- suitemilk likes this
- foundcuriosity likes this
- paulblakeman reblogged this from simplifyyourlife
- paulblakeman likes this
- gourneyz likes this
- dontgivetoget likes this
- caroactually likes this
- mnmaltech reblogged this from simplifyyourlife and added:
- frugal-lady reblogged this from becomingminimalist and added:
- aexiu likes this
- financial-reader likes this
- cringeypants likes this
- becomingminimalist reblogged this from simplifyyourlife
- karldurrant likes this
- danseursarethefolk likes this
- level50nerd likes this
- nbnb likes this
- mstandsformorgan likes this
- happywithless likes this
- violentkittyhawk likes this
- itsowlgoodyall likes this
- tradedinmymemory likes this
- francelkie likes this
- failedcasanova likes this
- eatpraylovetrain likes this
- aeroplanos likes this
- 37127 said:I absolutely agree! Wearing a watch everyday has made me more focused in the present, especially when I used to have my smartphone.
- blingyklefki likes this
- eryne likes this
- strongerbetterfasterthinner reblogged this from simplifyyourlife
- strongerbetterfasterthinner likes this
- soyamerighana likes this